Safety Alert 60
Date: 9 March 2016
An EGT apprentice was working on a construction site with his host company upgrading existing A/C units with a flow switch component. The apprentice received an electric shock when he failed to turn the A/C unit isolator switch off before attempting to remove the cover from the unit control panel. As he removed the cover, his left middle finger slipped down and onto a live terminal inside the panel. This in turn caused him to drop the cover, which then also contacted live parts, causing the MCB to trip.
Left photo: A/C unit with the cover removed | Right photo: Live terminal inside the A/C unit
The apprentice failed to effectively isolate the A/C unit.
- Always follow the EGT isolation procedure ‘Test B4 You Touch’.
- The on-site SWMS was updated to include the isolation procedure (step-by-step).
- An on-site toolbox meeting was conducted with all workers to discuss the isolation procedure and the apprentice supervision requirements.
For further information regarding this Safety Alert, please contact the NECA OSH Team on (08) 6241 6100.