78 - Electric shock (circuit identification failure)

Date
14 November 2018

Description
The internal walls of a commercial premises were being removed for refurbishment. To accommodate this, all circuits affected were removed from the supply (load tail) at the identified load centre, then terminated into insulated connectors. Cables within the walls were disconnected, removed and terminated into junction boxes with the tails left in the ceiling for future use.

The tradesman and the apprentice jointly tested the outlets with a metral tester, which indicated not live.

The tradesman then re-energised the unaffected circuits and mistakenly powered up the circuit that they had just identified for removal.

The failure to re-test resulted in a shock when the apprentice grasped the outlet to disconnect and made contact with a live conductor.

Root cause

Contributing factors

Key points

It is critical that all electrical incidents are reported to your host employer and to EGT as soon as practical.

Feedback
For further information regarding this Safety Alert, please contact EGT on (08) 6241 6100.