89 – Working safely in the heat
As summer approaches, so do the dangers of working outside during hot weather. Knowing how to work safely in hot weather can help prevent heat stress injuries and heat stroke, the most serious heat-related disorder.
To help beat the heat:
- Regularly drink cool water (2-4 cups of water every hour), not ice cold water
- Avoid drinks with caffeine or drinks with large amounts of sugar
- Reduce time spent doing work activities in the heat, e.g. job rotation, work during the cooler part of the day
- Rest often in a shaded area
- Wear a hat (broad brimmed) an use sunscreen (SPF 50+)
The Cancer Council has a number of resources to help implement sun protection in your workplace, refer to the Cancer Council website for further information and resources: https://www.cancer.org.au/
For further information regarding this Safety Alert, please contact EGT on (08) 6241 6100 or talk to your Field Officer.