97 | Near Miss - Electric Shock
An apprentice and a tradesperson were working on a Homeswest site in Bibra Lake, replacing the sockets and lighting throughout. At the start of the day an isolation procedure was discussed and implemented as part of the pre-start process.
They had completed the works and were carrying out the testing process when they noticed a GPO had not been upgraded and needed to be capped off with connectors and have a junction box installed. The tradesperson had instructed the apprentice to wait while they returned to the switchboard to isolate the power. The apprentice DID NOT participate in the isolation procedure, nor did they complete the Identify, Isolate and Test before Touching (IITT) checklist.
As it was near the end of the day, the apprentice wanted to get the task done in a timely manner and did not wait for the confirmation of isolation, or test using their volt stick (which was in their pocket) before proceeding with the task.
While carrying out the task, the apprentice picked up the cable close to the end. The cable was live and the copper touched causing an arch and tripping the RCD instantly.
The apprentice was unsure if an electrical shock had occurred. They were taken to the closest medical centre for an ECG and given the all clear.
Upon further investigation it has been proven that no electric shock occurred but this was a very close near miss incident.
1. Job/System factors:
2. Personal factors:
For further information regarding this Safety Alert, please contact EGT on (08) 6241 6100 or speak with your Field Officer.