As part of the Economic Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Australian Government is helping businesses to manage cash flow challenges and to keep your apprentices and trainees employed.
The Australian Government is extending and expanding the Supporting Apprentices and Trainees wage subsidy, to include medium-sized businesses who had an apprentice in place on 1 July 2020.
Eligible employers can apply for a wage subsidy of 50 per cent of the apprentice or trainee’s wages paid until 31 March 2021. In addition to the existing support for small businesses, medium-sized businesses will now be eligible for the subsidy, for wages paid from 1 July 2020 – 31 March 2021.
Subsidies will also be available to any new employer who re-engages an eligible apprentice that was displaced by an eligible small or medium sized business.
Is my business eligible?
- Your small business may be eligible if:
- you employ fewer than 20 people; or
- you are a small business with fewer than 20 people, using a Group Training Organisation; and
- the apprentice or trainee was undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship with you on 1 July 2020 for claims after this date. Claims prior to 1 July 2020, will continue to be based on the 1 March 2020 eligibility date.
- Your medium-sized business may be eligible if:
- you employ 199 people or fewer; or
- you are a medium business with 199 people or fewer, using a Group Training Organisation; and
- the apprentice or trainee was undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship with you on 1 July 2020.
- Any employer (including all small, medium or large businesses and Group Training Organisations) who re-engages an apprentice or trainee displaced from an eligible small or medium business may also be eligible for the subsidy.
How much is the subsidy?
- Eligible employers will receive a wage subsidy of up to 50 per cent of the wages paid worth up to $7,000 per quarter, per eligible apprentice or trainee, reimbursed in arrears.
Anything else I should know?
- Claims from small businesses can continue to be submitted as normal. Claims from medium-sized businesses will open on 1 October 2020.
How can I apply or find out more?
For further information on how to apply for the subsidy, including information on eligibility, contact an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider via australianapprenticeships.gov.au/search-aasn.
For a copy of the above information as a fact sheet, click here.